"There is no one straight path"
This nugget of insight seems to be a recurring theme throughout the conversations that I have with my marvelous guests. Their paths are colorfully weaved with discovery and changes. For the most part, their stories don't follow a linear trajectory. In fact, it's the dynamic quality that brings so much inspiration and aliveness! Restaurant owner turned yoga teacher, engineer turned yoga studio owner, law professional turned shaman....
I think what's so alluring about these stories is that these people stopped to ask themselves somewhere along the way "what do I truly want in life?" and then mustered the courage to try and figure it out! "What do I truly want in life?" and "How can I be happy?" are questions that we eventually ponder. Growing up, we're taught to pave our lives out in one straight path and to fear the unknown, but the heart desires truth and purpose, and those things might not be on the pretty paved road. That's why stories of daring leaps perk us up.
With the last few interviews, there seems to be another layer emerging. That is:
"What you desire can change."
Ah yes, life likes to keep it exciting doesn't it! Just when we think we've figured it all out, the tides turn. The key is to continue tuning in and pivoting as needed.
In this episode, we get to hear about just that as Andrea Catherine opens up candidly about her next leap in life. Andrea is currently a yoga teacher, yoga health coach, Ayurvedic health counsellor and host of the podcast, Fearless Self Love. Her new calling is calling though and she's in flux to move toward her dream of creating a space that's a destination for travelers, locals and folks in transition. We also talk about self-love - what it means, how to do it, and how the practice of it has helped Andrea arrive at where she's at today.
- Andrea talks about ideas and how some ideas come strong and fade quickly but then some stick around. Her new dream stems from the latter - an idea that's been close to her hear for some time. Now she's ready to pursue it!
- Self-awareness in what kind of environment you would thrive in is important. After 8 years of creating on her own, Andrea has discovered that she loves creating with a team. Knowing this, she will try to achieve this with her new endeavor.
- Because Andrea kept asking questions like “what really matters to me?” she was able to identify when it was time to take on a new trajectory in life (ie. from being a yoga teacher to pursuing her dream of opening an inn). To her, this self-reflection is a form of self-love.
- Transformational moment: when she said “I love you” to herself and really meant it, her life changed.
- Before that moment, Andrea thought that loving herself meant eating well, exercising, and treating loved ones with kindness. While those are acts of self-love, it didn't encompass the whole truth of self love.
- Is self-love selfish?
- Acting on what you need doesn’t take away from what somebody else needs
- You need to value your own time and practice as much as you value others’
- For me, I think selfish shouldn’t even be part of our vocabulary especially if it holds a negative connotation for you (more on this in a future episode!)
- Andrea's practices to cultivate self-love:
- Making space for herself by riding her bike. That's the one time that she doesn’t check her phone
- Have a practice of movement
- Keeping a practice that’s different and new that her work can’t provide
- Self practices with non violent communication
- Being in a creative space in the kitchen
- Being in nature
- Surrounding herself with people that she trusts and asking for help when needed
One of Your Biggest Lessons So Far:
It’s okay to wait and it’s okay to change your mind. A yes or no decision doesn’t need to be made right away. Take time to sit quietly to discern what you really need and keep some space for the unknown.
What is one nugget of wisdom that you would share with fellow seekers who are on this journey of growth and transformation?
Don’t compromise your growth. Choose to surround yourself with people who are going to be supportive of your growth.
If you have any questions for Andrea or want to learn more, connect with her through:
Facebook: Grounded Here FB Group
Instagram: @groundedhere ; @fearlessselflove