In this episode, we talk about M-O-N-E-Y. A topic that many shy away from even though we all want and need it. Why is that? Probably because there's so much stigma around money plus our own complicated relationship with it. We want it but we're afraid to admit to wanting it. Maybe we somehow came to know it as evil. Maybe deep down inside we don't feel like we deserve it. Or maybe it's because we think that wanting it makes us greedy people and the last thing you want to be is evil especially when you want to do nothing but heart centered work and make a positive change in the world. See, it's complicated.
Here's the thing though - if you truly want to do heart centered work or have creative freedom, you need to be financially viable! If you're not financially sustained, all you'll be thinking about is how to make the next dollar so that you can pay rent or have lunch. Tanner Kennedy, Law of Attraction Money Mindset Coach & Founder of The Own Your Worth Project talks to us about how to approach this topic and what's really blocking us from the abundance we desire.
"Think about it this way, the more you have, the more you'll be able to continue your work and help others. Scarcity mindset makes us think that our gains take away from other people but that's just not true".
Before you listen in, I want to point out that when we refer to "entrepreneur" it doesn't mean that you need to have a full fledged business. This applies to you even if you're selling art on the side, crafts on Etsy or teach Yoga classes! Happy Listening!
- When we feel powerless around money, we are unable to create or manifest what we want
- Women in particular seem to have a certain sense of powerlessness around money b/c of our society and culture. The journey is around learning to regain power and regain worth around money
- Having a heart centered business to make a change in the world is great and the truth is that money is going to sustain that work. Tanner helps women entrepreneurs come to a place where you realize that you can do great work and be paid for it and that’s okay.
- Tanner herself went through a turbulent with money – she had a major wound around money which had a lot had to do with how she saw herself and her worthiness. It tied into the men and father figures in her life.
- In our society Father figure = bread winner = safety with money
- We need the masculine side of us to create and make things in the world. Therefore issues around father figures can result in issues with making money in life
- In our society Father figure = bread winner = safety with money
- Got to a place where she truly believed that she could manifest anything she wanted around money
- By “power over money” Tanner means to overcome the fear around it.
- Example of limiting beliefs around money “I’m bad if I make money. I’m taking from other people”. Know that the is no scarcity. The more you have, the more you can give back to others.
- You don’t have to ask anybody for permission for what you desire. You just need to give the permission yourself.
- As you line up more with your truth, you’ll find that the relationships you have in your life and the financial situation you are in also begins to align (or vice versa). For Tanner, she used these situations to understand where she was in her growth of self emotionally and spiritually.
- There is power in understanding when to let go of something, even if you’ve had it all your life. Tanner gained this wisdom through her own experience of having to let go of her family to move forward.
- As we continued to talk, the real topic started to reveal itself and that was: SELF WORTH. Your self worth defines your relationships, what you want from life and what you’ll allow yourself to deserve.
- Not surprisingly, this all leads back to self-love
- Tanner suggests creating a routine of self-love to allow yourself to rise to the next level. She talks specifically about business and taking the time to evaluate what you’ll tolerate and how you want to price your products
- Tanner’s “upgrade” routine includes anchoring her beliefs about self-worth in her routine:
- Yoga & body weights in 30 minutes. The key is doing it with the intention of anchoring the beliefs of what she wants to create next. She’ll listen to meditation or she’ll give herself self-talk. In the end, her body believes the thoughts and she knows it’s within her rather than just in her head swirling around
- Allow yourself to receive the blessings when they show up. We sometimes make rules about what kind of people we deserve in our life or what we are able to get; and are blind to the great opportunities that come our way. We even self sabotage - for example, we might second guess our skills or products when somebody wants to pay us more than what we think we deserve.
- ·We talk about charging and business but I want to stress again that this applies everywhere – from the salary you’re willing to take to who/what you choose to give your time to.
- Setting prices: Think about what you really need to sustain yourself and then set the price from that standpoint!
- Inner work needs to be done for inner worth to harness in the price that you’ve set on the outside
- Whatever financial reality that you’re thinking in your mind that you’re not saying out loud or are too scared to say out loud is a real reality and you can work up to make it real!
- Sometimes it’s scary to talk about money because of the chance of being rejected. Another reason is maybe you don’t feel like you’re worthy of it. It can also be the guilt of rising above the level of life that we knew and grew up in and leaving that life behind and along with the people in it.
- When you’re ready and you’re clear, everything falls into place quickly
- Tanner’s Tools For Manifesting Money:
- Do a moving meditation where you are anchoring the thoughts and beliefs that you want into your body
- Write out your ideal next 6-8 weeks to help anchor into body. Be detailed and specific.
- Begin to set boundaries with people who don’t support the next best version of yourself (ex. Limit time with them or get them out of your life)
- Question to consider: What did your upbringing teach you about how to perceive money?
One of Your Biggest Lessons So Far:
Learn how to set boundaries. It’s easier said than done because it requires you to free up energy to learn how to say “no” and also develop enough self love to be able to say “no”. Oftentimes we can’t say no because of fear – fear of what other people will think or of disappointing others. Once Tanner learned this, she started to have control over not just money, but also life, body and everything else. She became a pro at manifesting and knew that she had the power to stay in her own space of creation.
What is one nugget of wisdom that you would share with fellow seekers who are on this journey of growth and transformation?
In Tanner's own words:
"When you commit to your entrepreneurial journey, it will require you to grow your self-worth from the inside out. Part of the initiation process will be attracting narcissists. They are put in your path to help you learn to harness your thoughts and create a unshakable mindset about who you really are, your self-worth and your focus."
If you have any questions for Tanner or want to learn more, connect with her through:
Facebook and YouTube channel also on website
Freebie: 3 Hidden Blocks That Sabotage Wealth & Abundance - Free Video Course - https://theownyourworthproject.com/3-hidden-blocks/